Search this blog and The Mike's favorite blogs!

January 4, 2010

Happy Anniversary to From Midnight With Love

Well, tomorrow marks the one year anniversary of me starting this little blog. It began with a New Year's resolution and some brainstorming about what I could possibly say that other viewers weren't already saying, and ended up with me carving my own little niche - before abandoning it for most of the year and then returning at a slower pace.

While I have a full-on, movie-based celebration planned for tomorrow, tonight I wanted to take a moment to reflect on what I'm doing here and what I plan to do in the future. As you've hopefully noticed, I've started working on some columns that aren't just reviews, whether they've been my overly long "Why Midnight Movies Matter" essays or my "In Defense Of...." rants or even just plain lists. One of the things I've noticed in the many excellent horror blogs I've been reading is the versatility of the authors. When I consider how little I enjoy the idea of film criticism in the first place, it makes perfect sense for me to branch out more.

While my goal has never been to gain notoriety or become some sort of expert, I recognize that my writing is no better than the people who read it perceive it to be. So, the first thing I really wanted to say in this post is that I'd love to hear feedback from any of you out there, which I hope can help me create a site you want to read. Please feel free to leave me comments or emails with any ideas or suggestions, I'm more than happy to consider them.

Secondly, I must say thank you to everyone out there who's read my blog and keeps coming back. I'm extremely grateful that each of you have come here and I hope you've at least taken something positive from it.

In my first post, 364 days ago, I offered a Statement of Principles. Looking back at it, I still feel that my goal going forward is "to shed some light on the "darker half" of cinema". I've started toward that goal, but there's plenty of good work left that I can do. I hope you'll keep coming back, and I'll do my best to bring you the best content I can in 2010.

Until tomorrow, when I list the Midnight Movies I fell in love with in 2009, here's to keeping things chilling.