Search this blog and The Mike's favorite blogs!

September 30, 2012

Introducing The October 2012 Awesome Horror Party

...because I can't think of a catchier title than that.

Us horror freaks, we live for this month. The way I see it, it started with Halloween, and then we were sitting around one day and we were like: "You know what, we want more. We'll take all of October now."  And so we did. And it was good.

Here at FMWL, I have not been up to par - at least by my standards - over the last few months.  But October is like two hours away now, and my goal is to slow life down enough that I can make some fun stuff happen here this month.  I plan to do so in a few ways, which I will detail below.
  • The end of The Mike's Top 50 Horror Movies Countdown?
I've been dragging this thing on since March as a way to get short posts out on days when I'm content challenged share a list of what are currently my favorite films in all of horror.  My initial plan was to post on all 50 movies by the end of October, and at this point I have 12 films to go.  Can I do it? We'll find out.
  • Lots of links to October Horror Goodness from all over the cyber 'verse.
If there's one thing I can guarantee about this October, it's that there will be a lot of horror lovin' folks on a lot of websites that will be knocking it out of the park this month.  And if I can't be an everyday warrior in the name of our favorite genre, I will at least do my best to point you in the direction of some good stuff.

If you're one of those horror loving writers with big plans for October - actually, plans of any size will do - make sure to find me via email or Facebook or Twitter and let me know.  I hope to do what I can to dig up some of the best stuff I find this month, because the celebration of horror in October needs to be a lot bigger than just me.
  • How The Mike Found Horror
One of my favorite horror fiends, Christine from over at Fascination With Fear, recently put together an inventive listing project that blew my mind.  And with her permission, I'm stealing it and making it my own.

Throughout October, I will post a series of lists (YES! More lists!) with a common theme - How The Mike Found Horror.  These lists will break down many of the things that entertained, educated, and even inspired me through my youth, and will explain how these entities made me the Mike I am today.  Some of these things may be review to my regular readers - I just might mention The Blob at some point - but I am really looking forward to talking about some of the little things that pushed me down this macabre path of awesomeness.  Think of it as one of those "This is Your Life" things....if you're old enough to know what that means. Heck, I'm not old enough to know what that means.  I just know it from when Mankind did it to The Rock.  Don't worry though, it'll be fun.

  • And your regular schedule of reviews and the Midnight Movie of the Week and more stuff.
Because that's what I do.  Hopefully it's as awesome as Dr. Doom's acoustic album.

2 comments:

Christine Hadden said...

I'm so excited to hear about what brought Mike to horror!

And I'm glad you enjoyed the original post enough to make it your own!

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

It's October where I am right now, and I'm already feeling the Halloween spirit! =D

Like you, I decided to start early. My October theme is "Burial Grounds", so you're very welcome to link something up at the end of the month, if you'd like to write about a movie setting that fits the bill. =) And I'm going to be doing a readalong of a Stephen King novel. Not sure which one yet: either Pet Sematary or The Shining. The one with the most votes wins--and of course this comment is my way of telling you that I'd be really grateful if you popped over to vote. =) Thanks!